In Moldova, gender-based violence is a serious human rights problem that affects numerous women throughout their lives. The Action is implemented by three partner organizations that seek to combat gender based violence in Moldova through a joint and comprehensive effort.
The Action brings a holistic approach towards the issue in general and the assistance provided to victims of gender based violence, in particular. The action also seeks to improve national legislation and policies on gender based violence, and their enforcement; to raise public awareness about the issue and to increase the protection of women, victims of gender based violence.
- Drafting and lobbying a Guideline on conducting documentation in cases of gender based violence, including medical, psychological and forensic examination;
- Creating a pilot Interdisciplinary Assistance and Rehabilitation Mechanism for victims of gender based violence;
- Providing two sub-grants to establish Emergency Centers for victims of gender based violence;
- Monitoring and evaluation of the implementation of the national legislation on combating gender based violence and lobbying the amendments to legislation;
- Drafting a Guideline and training Multidisciplinary Teams on how to address cases of domestic violence;
- Six awareness raising Campaigns;
- Six trainings workshops for professional groups on how to address cases of gender based violence.
The direct beneficiaries of the action are the victims and potential victims of the gender based violence (mainly women).
The key stakeholder groups are: women, victims of gender based violence (and their families); State actors responsible for the implementation of the legislation on combating gender based; Local non-governmental organizations; Professional groups: lawyers, psychologists, social workers, doctors and journalists; International organizations and Diplomatic Corps located in Moldova.
- The action will increase the protection and access to emergency services for victims of gender based violence through creating and piloting an Interdisciplinary Assistance and Rehabilitation Mechanism and providing assistance to at least 300 beneficiaries during the project life.
- The Action will also help developing the capacities of the local NGOs to provide comprehensive services and assistance to victims of gender based violence, through providing two sub-grants to establish Emergency Centers.
- The Action also aims to improve the forensic examination in cases of gender based violence through developing and lobbying the enforcement of the Guideline on conducting documentation in cases of gender based violence, including medical, psychological and forensic examination, in compliance with the Istanbul Protocol.
- The Action partners will help improve legislation on gender-based violence through continuous monitoring and through proposing amendments to legislation.
- Another Action’ result will be the improved functioning of the Multidisciplinary Teams on domestic violence through developing a Guideline on how to address cases of domestic violence and training at least 500 members of the multidisciplinary teams. In addition, the Action will help increase the capacities of 150 representatives of professional groups (lawyers, psychologists, social workers, doctors and journalists) on how to address cases of gender based violence through delivering a training program.
- To increase the awareness among population about the gender based violence and legal protection mechanisms, the Action will run six information and awareness raising campaigns that will reach at least 3000 people throughout the country.